The old way to control Mac with iPhone and Android only helps you control when both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. Lucid Gen understands that you need more than that, that is, being able to control Mac with iPhone or Android remotely when using different networks. In this article, I will guide you in detail and refresh the old way because macOS has updated and introduced a new way. Let’s get started!
Function to control Mac by phone
- Can control Mac with iPhone and Android: When thinking about controlling Mac, people often think that only iPhone can do it because they share the Apple family. Actually Android phones can do it too.
- Can fully manipulate the mouse: Left mouse, right mouse, middle mouse, scroll wheel are all available. You just need to get used to the operation on the phone.
- Can manipulate the keyboard: You can use the keyboard on the phone to write on the Mac.
- Can control the same network or different WiFi network: This is the feature you want. This way only Lucid Gen guide first (in VN).
- Can zoom to zoom in and out of the screen: No need to worry about the small screen so you can’t see the icons on the Mac desktop, just use 2 fingers to zoom to where you want to see larger.
- Can take a screenshot on Mac: The application allows you to capture the screen of your Mac right on your phone.
control Mac with iPhone on the same network
I will guide you through the basic way that Apple built-in Mac, but there is a slight difference from the documents on the Internet that their way is no longer suitable because you can view only the lock screen of the Mac. Lucid Gen’s guide is more suitable for current macOS and controls the internal display.
This way can only control Mac with iPhone or Android when both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. Installing on the computer is very easy, but on the phone is a bit difficult.
Step 1: Open System Preferences > Sharing.
Step 2: You tick on Screen Sharing (see the word Screen Sharing: On and the green light is successful). Now, remember 1 of the 2 areas you circled in red as shown below, to use the phone to connect.
Step 3 (optional): You can rename it to be shorter and easier to type on your phone.
Step 4: You download and open the VNC Viewer application > click the plus sign > enter Address as your IP address or Name.local > Save.
Step 5: Click Connect > turn off Warn me every time and click Continue > Enter your Mac username and password, turn on Remember Password, and click Continue (Continue).
The username you can see on the System Preferences page, and the password is the computer’s password that you always use every time you start it.
Step 6: Start controlling Mac with iPhone or Android. You can open the mouse control panel or use the actions introduced by the application.
These are the actions that the application will present to you:
- Use 2 fingers to zoom.
- Click with 1 finger and drag to move the mouse.
- 1 click on the screen will be the left mouse button.
- Double-click on the screen will be double-click.
- Clicking with 2 fingers will be the right mouse button.
- Click with 3 fingers will be the middle mouse.
- Click with 2 fingers and then drag up and down to scroll.
- Double click and drag to click and drag to select an area
You can write on your Mac using the familiar keyboard of your phone. After using, click the X to disconnect. VNC Viewer will save your device; next time you need to select the device, VNC Viewer will automatically connect to your Mac without further action.
control Mac with iPhone on different network
AnyDesk is an application that I personally find it better than previous seniors like Teamviewer. Its flexibility makes it possible for all devices to control each other without being of the same version. While every time I use Teamviewer, I always have the problem of 2 different versions not being able to connect, having to update both machines to the same version, too annoying. After finishing this article, please switch to AnyDesk!
This way can control Mac with iPhone or Android on the same network and different networks. However, it is difficult to install on the Mac, and on the phone it is easy.
Step 1: Go to anydesk.com > click the Download Now button > open the anydesk.dmg file.
Step 2: Drag and drop the AnyDesk icon into the Applications folder.
If you can’t open anydesk.dmg file, then disable Gatekeeper, still can’t, then turn off SIP.
Step 3: You open AnyDesk in Launchpad.
Step 4: You will be asked if you want to open the application downloaded from the internet; select Open > enter your computer password > Install Helper.
Step 5: Save the AnyDesk address on your Mac for us to fill in on the phone.
You can set a password for other devices to connect and control your Mac without asking your permission.
Step 6: You download and open the AnyDesk application > enter the AnyDesk address on the Mac to connect.
Step 7: Go back to the Mac and click the Accept button to allow the phone to control the Mac. If you have already set a password, skip this step.
If you want to control your Mac with your phone without having to click the Accept button on your Mac, then go back to Step 5 and click the Set password line, next time you just need to enter a password to control it. Always get a Mac.
Step 8: Start controlling Mac with iPhone or Android. Lucid Gen will guide you on how to use it for the first time as follows:
- Swipe inward from the edge of the screen to display the menu.
- One click is left mouse button.
- 1 click and hold is the right mouse button.
- Use 2 fingers to zoom the screen.
- Swipe next to it to see the menu and then drop it on the keyboard icon to use the keyboard.
- Double-click an element and swipe to drag and drop it on the Mac screen.
This is the menu when you swipe in from the edge, drop at the keyboard, use the keyboard, drop at lightning, take a screenshot, drop at the X, then disconnect. Your device will be saved, and next time, click to connect.
Each way of controlling Mac with iPhone and Android has its pros and cons. The Mac’s built-in Sharing feature is simple to set up on the Mac, but only for the local network. As for AnyDesk, the installation is a bit laborious because it has to turn off Gatekeeper, but on the phone is a simple operation and can be controlled from another WiFi network.
How do you like this tutorial? Leave your comments below the article!